Pupil Transportation Cooperative (PTC) was formed in 1984 when seven school districts in Southeast Los Angeles County formed a new public agency to provide school transportation services to the Whittier and Pico Rivera communities. The schools districts that joined together include:
- Whittier Union High School District
- Whittier City Elementary School District
- East Whittier City Elementary School District
- Los Nietos Elementary School District
- Little Lake City Elementary School District
- South Whittier Elementary School District
- El Rancho Unified School District
Pupil Transportation Cooperative is a joint powers agency under California law, which means it is a consortium of public school districts that has the legal status of a local educational agency under the law. The 140 employees of PTC are considered classified employees under the Education Code.
PTC transports approximately 3,000 students per day on both regular and special education routes scattered throughout the Southeast Los Angeles County area.